Department of Accounting & Finance
1. Educational Objectives
The mission of the Department is to create and disseminate knowledge in the fields of Accounting and Finance. The modern curriculum of the Department is designed in a way that covers a wide range of important topics and issues in the fields of Accounting and Finance, at both a theoretical and a practical level. The program structure gives the opportunity to students and staff members to have an experience of quality and of mutually supportive cooperation. It also gives students opportunities to develop new learning methods, innovation, self-creation, contributing in contemporary society and civilization.
2. Professional Rights
The modern curriculum of the Department seeks to meet the professional requirements of the Accounting and Financial sector of the economy (private and public). Specifically, the graduates of the Department have been given by law the professional rights of the Accountant-Tax Consultant and can thus be employed as executive accountants of firms or organizations or they can be self-employed (Law 2515/1997, Presidential Decree 340/1998, Law 2771/1999, Law 4152/2013). In addition they are certified to work as a chartered Accountant-Auditor under the conditions laid down by law. At the same time, they are able to work professionally in the financial sector as managers in Banks, Insurance companies and brokerage firms. Furthermore, the graduates of the Department have the opportunity to teach Secondary Education courses of the specialty EE 18.03 Accounting (108112D2/20-09-2011).
Specifically, the graduates of the Department of Accounting and Finance:
- Maintain the accounting books of all categories in accordance with the tax legislation, the Generally Accepted Accounting System (GAAS) and the Departmental Accounting System.
- Compile and analyze financial statements.
- Prepare budgets of companies and organizations and be able to analyze them based on the standard cost.
- Apply principles of costing methods.
- Prepare financial studies, business plans, and financial reporting.
- Advise on economic issues, and to participate in economic research.
- Apply procedures of internal and external audit.
- Understand and use management and information systems, in business, stock exchange brokerages etc.
- Are familiar with modern applications in Computers in Accounting and Finance.
- Have knowledge of the latest trends right now in the scientific field of Accounting and Finance
- Foster a comprehensive knowledge of the area of applied accounting and financial analysis in both Greek and international reality